Sunday, September 23, 2012

tomato jam


Summer was long. And my garden is thriving - well, was... tomato season is over and I am stuck with so many of them. I am canning them and will be turning them into great soups to keep me warm when the temperature drops, I am cooking them.... I feel just like Baba on Forrest Gump with this never ending ways of serving shrimps. But, this year I said I would also go with something different for a change. I would turn my tomatoes into jam. That's right tomato jam! Served with cheese or meat balls or even adding it in your salad sounds good enough for me :) I found the recipe through the New Yorker somewhere, somehow. And it's totally worth copying. Enjoy :)



8 cups of tomatoes, diced
1 cup honey
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 vanilla bean pods
pinch of fine sea salt

After you wash and dice the tomatoes, just add everything in a pot and cook for about 1 1/2 hour or until your jam is all thick. Make sure after your mixture boils to turn down the heat and keep the cap open, in order for the juices and water to evaporate. 


Το καλοκαίρι φαίνεται ότι κράτησε για πάντα και με κράτησε και εμένα μακριά από την κουζίνα. Αλλά ο κήπος μου είναι στο ζενίθ του - ε, ήταν τέλος πάντων... η εποχή της ντομάτας τέλειωσε και εγώ έμεινα με τόσες πολλές και πρέπει να αποφασίσω τι θα τις κάνω. Τις έφτιαξα σάλτσα και τις αποθήκευσα σε βάζα για να γίνουν σούπα το χειμώνα, τις μαγείρεψα... και βασικά νιώθω σαν τον Baba από το Forrest Gump με τις ατελείωτες εκδοχές της γαρίδας! Οπότε φέτος είπα να κάνω τις ντομάτες μου μαρμελάδα. Ναι, μαρμελάδα! Σερβίρεται με τυρί, ή με κεφτεδάκια αντί για ketchup ή και στην σαλάτα... Την συνταγή την βρήκα κάπου online από το the New Yorker. Αρκετά καλή και εύκολη ώστε να την υιοθετήσω. Απολαύστε υπεύθυνα. :)

8 φλ. ντομάτες, κομμένες σε μικρά καβάκια
1 φλ. μέλι
1 1/2 φλ. ζάχαρη
1/2 κ.γ. ξύσμα λεμονιού
2 κ.σ. χυμός λεμόνι
2 κ.γ. βανίλια
λίγο αλάτι

Αφού πλύνουμε και κόψουμε τις ντομάτες, βάζουμε όλα τα υλικά στην κατσαρόλα και τα αφήνουμε να βράσουν. Στην συνέχεια χαμηλώνουμε την φωτιά και ανακατεύουμε για περίπου 1 ώρα ή μέχρι η μαρμελάδα να πήξει. 

1 comment:

  1. nom nom.. Delicious :) Πάνω που σκεφτόμουν για ένα ντιπ τομάτας αγαπητή Νικολέτα. Thanks for sharing dear. Μα πόσα ταλέντα πια;
    Congrats!
    xxxFiC.

    www.fashionicook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete